Title: Rhodes Scholarships: Unlocking Opportunities for Global Leaders at Oxford University
Introduction: For over a century, the Rhodes Trust (UK) has been empowering young leaders through the prestigious Rhodes Scholarships, offering postgraduate study opportunities at the renowned Oxford University. With a vision of fostering a globally inclusive and thoughtful community of leaders, Rhodes Scholarships recognize exceptional individuals who demonstrate outstanding intellect, character, leadership abilities, and a commitment to service. In this blog post, we explore the Rhodes Scholarships, focusing on the Southern African constituency, the application process, eligibility criteria, and the benefits provided to successful scholars.
Rhodes Scholarships in the Southern African Constituency: Each year, the Rhodes Scholarships allocate ten awards to graduates from the Southern African constituency. This constituency includes South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, and eSwatini. The scholarships are open to individuals wishing to pursue Master’s or Doctoral studies in most disciplines/fields of study at Oxford University. The application period begins on June 1st and closes on August 1st annually.
Inclusive and Merit-Based Selection: The Rhodes Scholarships are committed to inclusivity and merit-based selection. Irrespective of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic circumstances, university attended, or field of study, the scholarships are awarded to talented individuals who demonstrate excellence in their respective domains.
Coverage and Benefits:
The Rhodes Scholarship provides comprehensive financial support for two years of study at Oxford University. The following expenses are covered:
- Oxford University application fee and annual tuition fees.
- An annual stipend to cover accommodation fees and living expenses in Oxford.
- One return air flight (SA-UK-SA) per scholarship.
- Financial assistance with Student Visa and health insurance costs for the scholarship duration.
- A settling-in allowance to support the transition to studying at Oxford.
- Access to a character, service, and leadership program, offering additional support and development opportunities.
To be eligible for the Rhodes Scholarship in the Southern African constituency, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Citizenship and residency in the Southern African constituency (South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, and eSwatini).
- Completion of an undergraduate degree.
- Academic excellence and proven leadership abilities.
- Meet age requirements.
The Oxford academic year commences on 01 October annually. The process to be followed:
- You first apply for the Rhodes Scholarship (closing date 01 August);
- Selection is completed by mid-November and the awards are announced;
- If you are successful you then apply to Oxford University for your chosen course of study, commencing 01 October 2024.
- Applications for the Rhodes Scholarships can only be submitted using the online application system at: Check your eligibility and apply – Rhodes Trust (ox.ac.uk) .
- Applicants MUST submit the following documents with their online application:
- A copy of your birth certificate.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID document.
- An official academic transcript from the college or university at which you are studying, or have studied, showing grades achieved (to date).
- A copy of your South African National Senior Certificate (NSC).
- Copies of your degree certificates.
- A full curriculum vitae which should include details about academic qualifications; prizes awarded or scholarship; positions of leadership; employment positions; involvement in student, voluntary, community or political activities; and any cultural, musical or sporting accomplishments. This should not exceed two A4 (12pt font size) pages in length.
- A head-and-shoulders colour photograph (jpg format).
- A personal statement of no more than 750 words.
- An academic statement (as detailed in the Information Document).
- The names and contact details of four referees (as detailed in the Information Document for candidates).
For further inquiries or additional information regarding the Rhodes Scholarship in the Southern African constituency, applicants can reach out to Ms. Beverley Johnson, Regional Manager – Rhodes Scholarships for Southern Africa:
Tel: +27 (0)74 054 4300
The Rhodes Scholarships offer a life-changing opportunity for young leaders from the Southern African constituency to pursue postgraduate studies at Oxford University. Regardless of background or field of study, the scholarships recognize individuals with exceptional intellect, character, and leadership potential. If you meet the eligibility criteria, we encourage you to apply and embark on a transformative journey that will shape your future and equip you with the tools to make a positive impact in the world. The Rhodes Scholarships not only provide financial support but also nurture a community of leaders committed to service, making it an invaluable opportunity for personal and professional growth. Don’t miss the chance to become part of this globally inclusive and thoughtful community—apply for the Rhodes Scholarships today!