University of the Free State UFS Admission Requirements
Higher Education South Africa (HESA) set specific admission requirements that you must meet if you want to study at any South African university. If you finished school in or after 2008, and have a National Senior Certificate (NSC), you need the following to apply for admission to a Bachelor’s degree at any South African university:
Four (4) of the seven (7) subjects included in your NSC subject package, must be from the designated subjects listed below, with a minimum mark of 4 (50%) in each of these four (4) subjects:
Designated list of school subjects:
|Agricultural Sciences||Life Sciences (Biology/Physiology)|
|Business Studies||Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy|
|Dramatic Arts||Three languages (one of these must be the language of teaching and learning at a higher-education institution and two other recognised language subjects)|
|Engineering Graphics and Design|
|Geography||Physical Sciences/Natural Sciences|
History Religion Studies
In addition to the requirements above, for degree studies at the University of the Free State we expect that:
- You have an overall AP of 30 and a minimum level of 4 (50%) in the chosen UFS language of instruction: English or Afrikaans (only applicable to certain programmes).
- You must pass certain school subjects with a minimum level of achievement in order to take a certain university module. For example, you must get a mark of 70% for Mathematics in Grade 12 if you plan to study BSc majoring in Physics with Engineering subjects.
- For certain selection programmes, e.g., BSc majoring in Actuarial Science, you must obtain an overall AP of 34.
It is important that you study the admission requirements of the programmes you are interested in thoroughly.
|To calculate your AP, you can use the following example:|
|For five (5) academic subjects you must obtain a level 5 (60%)||5 x 5 = 25|
|For one (1) further academic subject you must obtain a level 4 (50%)||1 x 4 = 4|
|For Life Orientation a level of 5 (60%) or higher to score 1 point||1 x 1 = 1|
|UFS overall AP score||= 30|
|NSC Level||UFS AP|
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL STUDENTS:
- Closing dates. Your admission application MUST be processed before you register in 2018. When we process your application for admission, we capture your details onto the UFS databases – if your details are not there, you cannot register. For this reason, it is very important to stick to the closing dates.
- National Senior Certificate. If you already have a National Senior Certificate (NSC), you must include a certified copy with your application form.
- Application. Make sure that you complete the application properly, and attach and certify all the required documents. Gaps in the application, as well as missing or uncertified documents will delay your application process.
- Transferring students. If you transfer from another tertiary institution, you must include a certificate of conduct and an official study record from the previous tertiary institution with your application, AND submit copies when you register. The closing date for students transferring from other tertiary institutions is 30 September 2017.
- International students: If you are from another country, you must attach you certified school leaving certificate, diplomas, and proof of a conditional exemption certificate issued by the Matriculation Board (Higher Education of South Africa) to your application. The closing date for international students is 30 September 2017.
The Application Helpdesk will help you with the application process. Contact these helpdesk agents:
- for study programme admission requirement information
- for assistance to complete your application forms
- to track the status of your application
Room 159C, George du Toit Building
T: +27 51 401 2345
THE HUMANITIES AND THEOLOGY
Room A155, George du Toit Building
T: +27 51 401 3365
Fax2email: +27 86 651 7830
ECONOMIC AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES AND LAW
Room A153, George du Toit Building
T: +27 51 401 9863
Fax2email: +27 86 652 4872
NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
Ilsa van Wyk
Room 159, George du Toit Building
T: +27 51 401 3659
Fax2email: +27 86 562 8947
Room A157, George du Toit Building
T: +27 51 401 3597
Lydia du Toit
Room 142A, Muller Potgieter Building
T: +27 51 401 7513
T: +27 51 401 9538/9864