Monash South Africa Visa

Monash South Africa Visa

Visas and health insurance

Do I need a visa?

If you are coming to South Africa from another country to study, you will need a study visa. Without one you will be unable to enrol or commence with your studies at Monash South Africa (MSA). The Department of Home Affairs in South Africa requires all international students studying at Monash South Africa to be in possession of the valid study visa. Students who are in possession of a travel or visitor visas will not be allowed to take up studies at Monash South Africa. In addition, students will not be able to apply for a study visa in South Africa if they entered on a visitor visa.

How to apply for your visa

Applying for your visa is a two-step process.

  • Step one – Request a confirmation of enrolment (COE) letter from Monash South Afric

1. Complete and return the request for confirmation of enrolment (COE) (pdf, 85Kb) using one of the methods detailed in the form.

2. Attach proof that you have paid 80 percent of your first semester tuition fees (for more information see paying your fees) and write your student number on the receipt as a reference number.

3. Attach a photocopy of your passport that clearly shows your passport number.

Once processed your COE will be emailed or faxed to you using the details provided on your form. Now you can apply for your visa.

  • Step two – Visa application process

1. All new applications will be done in your home country. The documents required for applying for a new study visa can be found at:
Please liaise with the South African Embassy/Consulate in your home country for further information.

2. Study visa extensions can be done via the VFS offices in South Africa.

For more detailed information visit the VFS website:

For more detailed information about the renewal of a Study Visa in South Africa, please look at the following document: Study Visa information session (pdf, 640Kb)

Health insurance

It is compulsory for international students to have hospital and primary health care insurance before enrolment day. The medical aid or health insurance must a recognized service provider in South Africa. You will need to provide proof of your cover.

We recommend Momentum Health or Liberty Medical Scheme. Each offer insurance solutions tailored to meet your individual needs and budget.

Need help with your application?

If you need help applying for your course, course advice or want to prepare for study in South Africa (including visas) please contact International Student Liaison Officer on +27 11 950 4019 or by email. They can also provide details about the education agent in your home country.

For anything else regarding applications, please contact the prospective student office by calling + 27 11 950 4009, send us an email or contact us via our enquiry form.

Study Visa FAQ’s

  1. How to apply for your study visa?All new applications will need to be done in your home country. The process for applying for new study visa can be found at
  2. What is the new VFS processing cost?The VFS processing cost is R1350 (excluding the South African Home Affairs fees), as well as a Home Affairs application fee of R425.00. This cost will be required when applying for a new study visa, renewals and extensions, transfer of visa and change of visa conditions.
  3. How long does it take for my study visa to be processed?It will take approximately 3-4 weeks to process, however you are advised to contact your nearest consulate or VFS Office for further guidance and assistance.
  4. When should I renew my study visa?Study visa’s must be renewed or extended 60 days prior to expiration. Renewals and extensions can be done in South Africa via the VFS Offices. The addresses are:

    1. Johannesburg Office, 1st Floor, Rivonia Village, Cnr Rivonia Boulevard and Mutual Road.
    2. Pretoria Office, Cherry Lane Office Park, 1st Floor, 114 Fehrsen Street, Nieuw Muckleneuk, Brooklyn.

More information can be found at

  • If I am here on a study visa, can I work?If you have a valid study visa, you are allowed to work part-time for not more than 20 hours a week (although not during academic vacations).

    If you plan to work as part of fulfilling your degree requirements or to get work experience, you will need to apply for permission from Visa Facilitation Services (VFS) and include:

    • A formal offer to do practical training.
    • Consent from the educational institution.
    • Proof that you are still registered students.
  • If I have a valid work visa, do I need a study visa?You have to apply for an endorsement to allow you to study part-time. We advise that you contact the Visa Facilitation Services (VFS) for guidance and assistance.
  • What happens if I fail to renew/extend my study visa within 60 days?A student who has an expired study visa is in violation of the South African Immigration Act and can be barred from entering South Africa for a minimum of 12 months and maximum of up to 5 years depending on the length of overstay, as well as the number of times you have committed this offence.
  • I have an expired study visa, what consequences do I face?

If your study visa has expired, you are in violation with the South Africa Immigrations Act and you are residing illegally in South Africa. You should contact the nearest South African Home Affairs office immediately for guidance and assistance.

  • What happens if I applied for my study visa prior to the new Immigration regulations?You will need to follow up with the South African Home Affairs Office where you submitted your application on the status of your application. You will be required to provide a receipt and reference number as proof of your application.

Contact details

VFS Offices

VFS Global Call Centre: (012) 425 3000

Home Affairs


Department of Home Affairs Toll Free Hotline: 0800 60 11 90.