National Arts Council of South Africa (NAC) Bursaries 2024-2025
About the National Arts Council (NAC):
The National Arts Council of South Africa (NAC) was established by parliament in 1997. The NAC’s mandate includes encouraging and providing opportunities for artists, promoting access to the arts for historically disadvantaged individuals, fostering an understanding and appreciation of art, and promoting national identity and consciousness through art. The NAC is also tasked with addressing historical imbalances in the promotion of the arts and creating a national relationship between individuals and art institutions.
The NAC’s vision is to be a leader in the cultural, arts, and creative community, actively supporting diverse and free creative expression. Their mission is to be an accessible and responsive funding agency, delivering value to the public by creating partnerships that promote the development and sustainability of the creative sector.
About the NAC International Bursary Programme – Fields Covered & Coverage Value:
The National Arts Council (NAC) is inviting students to apply for their International Bursary programme for the 2024-2025 academic year. This bursary is intended to support undergraduate and postgraduate studies leading to an Arts qualification. Eligible fields include dance, craft, multidiscipline, literature, theatre, music, and visual arts. The studies should take place at any international tertiary institution outside of South Africa.
The bursary aims to cover tuition fees, registration costs, and, in special cases, residence costs at relevant institutions or with experienced arts practitioners. The maximum value of the bursary is R250,000 per year.
The selection of successful candidates will be based on artistic merit, acceptance at the chosen international institution, financial need, the status of the institution, and the credibility of the chosen qualification. Successful candidates will be notified no later than May 26.
Bursary Renewal and Terms & Conditions:
The bursary is renewable for the duration of the student’s course, subject to the successful completion of each year of study. Students must adhere to all conditions of the grant. After completing their studies, students are required to share their skills by assisting underprivileged organizations, groups, or individuals in the community. This may involve outreach programs, workshops, admin support, mentoring, and capacity building. Proof of these services must be provided to the NAC in the form of a written report and photographs.
Please note the following:
- Successful students and beneficiaries will be required to sign an agreement with the NAC.
- Students pursuing two to three-year degrees will not need to reapply for funding and will be granted support for the duration of their studies, subject to successful completion each year.
- The NAC reserves the right to terminate the agreement in the second semester or year if the candidate does not maintain satisfactory performance based on progress reports.
Eligibility Requirements for the NAC International Bursary:
Applicants must meet the following minimum entry criteria before applying:
- South African citizenship.
- Full-time registration for undergraduate or postgraduate studies in one of the specified Arts fields.
- Acceptance at an international institution.
- Minimum overall average of 65% (students with an overall average of 63% may be considered in special cases).
- Recognition of prior learning qualification may be considered if accepted by a specific institution.
- Satisfactory progress, artistic merit, and financial need.
- Preference given to students from previously disadvantaged backgrounds.
How to Apply for the NAC International Bursary:
Applications must be submitted online through the National Arts Council of South Africa (NAC) International Bursary Application for 2024-2025. Indicate “Uni24.co.za” in the field asking how you heard about the NAC South Africa International Bursary.
Ensure you submit clear copies of the required supporting documentation along with your application. Missing documents may lead to disqualification.
Closing Date for the NAC International Bursary:
The closing date for applications is March 31, at 23h59. Be sure to apply before this deadline to ensure your application is considered.
Contact Information for the Bursary Provider:
For any queries related to this bursary program, please contact the National Arts Council directly at the following email address: contact firstname.lastname@example.org.