University of Zululand Unizulu Main Campus
The University of Zululand (UNIZULU) is situated in Kwadlangezwa on the KwaZulu-Natal north coast,19 km south of Empangeni and 142 km north of Durban.
UNIZULU was established in 1960 and the main campus is the Kwadlangezwa Campus which houses the University’s four faculties and academic support departments and offers 252 accredited degree, diploma and certificate courses within its Faculties.
The University is currently catering for 16 118 students and includes foreign students from neighbouring African countries, Asia, South America and Australasia.
Strong links have been forged with institutions in other countries that have brought a new dynamic into the university. This involves exchange students and the sharing of information.
The International Linkages Office is in charge of this international interaction with other universities. To name just a few, Manchester University, University of Michigan, Oxford University, and also institutions such as the Italian Laboratorio Dei Materiali TASC .
- Commerce Administration & Law
- Science and Agriculture
- Law, Education
- Nursing Science
- Social Work
- Sport Science
- Auditoriums, Halls and Conference Venues
- Campus Television Broadcasting Station
- Computer Laboratories
- Health Clinic
- Lecture Houses
- Lecture Rooms and Micro laboratories
- Men & Women Residences
- Sports Facilities
- Student Centre
- Richards Bay
- A leading comprehensive University, providing quality education.
- To provide globally competitive graduates, relevant for the human capital needs of our country, by providing quality education which upholds high standards of research and academic excellence.
- Accountability: subscribing to integrity and transparency.
- Efficiency: sustaining high levels of productivity.
- Innovation: promoting attributes of excellence, creativity and discovery among students and staff.
- Mutual Trust: inculcating dependable and trustworthy relationships and mutual respect.
- Teamwork: working together to accomplish a common goal.
- 1960 The first student intake was 41
- 1961 Official opening of the University hosting delegates from foreign lands.
- 1970 University status is granted to the University College of Zululand.
- 1977 Prof AC Nkabinde becomes the first black Rector.
- 1979 Dr MG Buthelezi becomes the first black Chancellor. At this stage mainly Zulu and Swazi ethnic groups attended the university.
- 1981 The Cecil Renaud Extramural Division is established at the main campus to accommodate after-hours students and the Department of Nursing Science set up in this same year.
- 1983 The 2500 ha Ntambanana farm is bought for the department of agriculture.
- 1985 New Religious Movements and Churches centres are established. (NERMIC) and the Science Centre are established
- 1986 The University of Zululand is opened to all races.
- 2000 The Hewlett-Packard Computer Academy is instated.
- 2003 The University celebrates its 45th Anniversary.
- 2003 New student residence, housing 368 students, is completed.
- 2009 Launch of the University of Zululand – Richards Bay Campus