Palabora Mining Company Bursary 2024-2025
About Palabora Mining Company (PMC):
Palabora Mining Company Limited was founded in 1956 and is a publicly traded mining company with operations in both underground and open-pit mines. PMC’s mines produce copper and various byproducts, including precious metals, sulfuric acid, nickel sulfate, anode slimes, vermiculite, and magnetite. Notably, PMC’s open-cast mine is one of the widest man-made holes in Africa, measuring nearly 2,000 meters in width.
The company also has subsidiaries in Singapore, the United Kingdom, and the United States to market vermiculite. Headquartered in Phalaborwa, Limpopo, South Africa, PMC is the country’s sole producer of refined copper. Ownership of the company is divided, with 57% owned by the Rio Tinto Group (an international mining conglomerate), 17% by Anglo American PLC, and the remaining 26% publicly floated.
About the Palabora Mining Company Bursary Program:
Palabora Mining Company is offering bursaries for the 2024-2025 academic year to students from Ba-Phalaborwa Communities. The bursaries are available for studies in the following fields:
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Health
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Process Control/Instrumentation
The bursary covers various expenses, including registration fees, tuition fees, accommodation, meals, a prescribed book allowance, and a laptop. Selection of bursary recipients is based on academic merit.
Shortlisted applicants will be notified by no later than 22 December, and they may be required to attend an interview and undergo psychometric testing as part of the selection process. Bursaries are renewable each year, contingent on satisfactory academic performance.
Eligibility Requirements for the PMC Bursary:
To qualify for the Palabora Mining Company Bursary, applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- South African citizenship
- Age between 16 and 35 years old
- Reside within the Ba-Phalaborwa Communities (specific areas listed)
- Currently in Matric or completed Matric
- Intending to study toward an undergraduate qualification in one of the specified fields for 2024-2025
- Enrolling in a recognized and accredited South African university or university of technology
- Strong academic record
- No criminal record
- Not receiving any other sponsorship or bursary awards
- Students with disabilities and female students are encouraged to apply
How to Apply for the PMC Bursary:
Applications for the Palabora Mining Company Bursary should be submitted online via the PMC Bursary Application for 2024-2025.
When applying, enter “Uni24.co.za” in the field that asks how you heard about the PMC bursary.
Applicants must submit clear copies of the following supporting documents with their online application:
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric June results (if currently in Matric, certified copy)
- Matric certificate (if completed Matric, certified copy)
- Full academic record (if currently studying, certified copy)
- Proof of acceptance at a university or university of technology (on the institution’s letterhead)
- Proof of residence in Ba-Phalaborwa communities (Municipal letter or Tribal Authority letter, certified copy)
The closing date for PMC Bursary applications is 25 November 2024-2025. Applicants are encouraged to apply before this date to ensure their applications are considered.
For inquiries related to the Palabora Mining Company Bursary program, please contact Palabora Mining Company directly through their contact page.