Koffiefontein Diamond Mine Bursary 2024-2025
The Koffiefontein Diamond Mine, located in the Free State province of South Africa, is owned by Petra Diamonds, a prominent diamond mining group. The mine has a rich history dating back over 140 years, and it is known for producing some significant diamonds, including a 232 carat diamond in 1994.
Here are the key details about the Koffiefontein Diamond Mine Bursary Program:
Fields Covered: The bursary program is open to students residing within the local labor sending area of Letsemeng Municipality. It covers studies in the following fields:
- Environmental and Engineering Geology (BSc)
- Engineering Geology (BSc)
- Industrial Engineering (BSc)
- Mining Engineering (BSc)
Coverage Value & Service Contract: The bursary covers the following expenses:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in residence
- Meals (or equivalent allowances)
Bursary recipients are required to participate in practical vacation work during December and January holidays. After graduation, they are obligated to work for Petra Diamonds (Pty) Ltd for a period equal to the duration of the bursary funding received.
Selection Process: Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 30 days of the closing date. The selection process includes pre-screening, profile testing, on-mine assessments, medical clearance, and security clearance. Candidates may also be required to attend a panel interview before final selection is made. Note that Petra Diamonds reserves the right not to award any bursaries if suitable candidates are not found.
Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible for the Koffiefontein Diamond Mine Bursary, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a South African citizen.
- Reside in the local labor sending area of Letsemeng Municipality, Free State province.
- Be studying or intending to study one of the specified qualifications.
- Be registered and accepted to study at a recognized South African university or university of technology.
- Have achieved a minimum result of level 6 for Mathematics in Matric mid-year exams (not Mathematical Literacy).
- Have achieved a minimum result of level 6 for Sciences in Matric mid-year exams.
- Industrial Engineering students must have achieved a minimum Admission point score (APS) of 35.
- Environmental and Engineering Geology, Engineering Geology, and Mining Engineering students must have achieved a minimum Admission point score (APS) of 31.
- Current university or university of technology students must have a strong academic record.
- Preference will be given to senior students, but first-year students are also welcome to apply.
- Preference will be given to students residing within the company’s host labor sending area of Letsemeng/Xhariep District Municipalities.
- Preference will be given to female students and students from designated groups, in line with the company’s EE Policy and Plan and internal candidates.
How to Apply: To apply, submit clear copies of the following supporting documents via email:
- ID document (certified copy)
- Full Curriculum Vitae
- Matric certificate (if completed Matric, certified copy)
- Proof of acceptance at a university (on the institution’s letterhead)
- Proof of residence in Letsemeng Municipality
There is no application form to complete. Submit the required documents to either Marizanne.JansenVanRensburg@petradiamonds.com or Johan.Brits@petradiamonds.com. Make sure to include “Petra Diamonds Bursary Application” in the email subject line.
Closing Date: The closing date for the Koffiefontein Diamond Mine Bursary for the 2024-2025 academic year was October 25. Applications submitted after this date were not accepted.
Please note that the information provided here is based on the details available in the document you provided and may not be up-to-date. If you or someone you know is interested in applying for this bursary, it’s advisable to verify the current application process and deadlines by contacting Petra Diamonds or visiting their official website.