Title: SASSETA Discretionary Grants 1st Funding Window Bursary: Fields Covered and Application Details
Introduction: The Safety and Security Sector Education and Training Authority (SASSETA) is a vocational skills training organization in South Africa that focuses on facilitating education and training within the safety and security sector. SASSETA offers various programs such as learnerships, internships, apprenticeships, and skills programs. This article provides information about the SASSETA Bursary, including the fields covered, expenses covered, renewal criteria, eligibility requirements, application procedure, and contact details.
Fields Covered by the SASSETA Bursary: SASSETA invites unemployed students to apply for the Discretionary Grants 1st Funding Window bursary program for the 2024-2025 academic year. The bursaries are available for studies in the following fields:
- Artisan and Engineering Programs addressing Skills for the Economic Reconstruction and Recovery Plan
- Clinical Social Work
- IT Programme Analysis
- IT Programme Development
- IT Software Development
- Paralegal Studies
- Security Management
Expenses Covered and Renewal:
The SASSETA Bursary provides coverage for various expenses based on the study mode:
- Full-time studies: Up to R80,000 per student for tuition fees, textbooks, on-campus or university-approved accommodation, and meals.
- Part-time studies or distance learning: Up to R35,000 per student for tuition fees and textbooks.
Bursaries are awarded for one academic year and can be renewed annually throughout the duration of the study program. Renewal is contingent upon the bursary recipient passing at least 60% of their modules, including their major subject.
Eligibility Requirements for the SASSETA Bursary:
To be eligible for the SASSETA Bursary, applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- South African citizen
- Aged between 18 and 35 years old
- Completed Matric
- Studying or accepted to study in one of the specified fields in 2024-2025
- Registered or accepted at a recognized and accredited public university, university of technology, or public TVET college in South Africa (private institution students can apply if the course of study is not offered at any public institution)
- Household income not exceeding R600,000 per annum
- Not participating in any other SASSETA funded program (internship, learnership, or skills program) within the current financial year
- Preference given to students living with disabilities, female students, and those without any other bursary funding or NSFAS support.
Application Procedure for the SASSETA Bursary:
To apply for the SASSETA Bursary, submit your application online using the SASSETA Bursary Application Form. When asked how you heard about the bursary, enter “Uni24.co.za.” Include clear copies of the required supporting documents, such as ID documents, Matric certificate or statement of results, proof of acceptance/registration for the 2024-2025 academic year, and parents or guardians’ ID documents and proof of income.
Closing Date and Contact Information:
The closing date for the SASSETA Bursary is 27 January at 23:59:59 (Midnight). Ensure your application is submitted before the closing date to be considered. For inquiries regarding this bursary program, contact SASSETA directly via telephone at 011 087 5555, 011 087 5556, or 011 087 5623, or email Bursaries2023@sasseta.org.za.
The SASSETA Bursary provides financial support to unemployed students pursuing studies in various fields related to safety and security. By covering tuition fees, textbooks, and other related expenses, SASSETA aims to contribute to skills development within the sector. If you meet the eligibility criteria, submit your application online before the closing date. For more information and assistance, contact SASSETA using the provided contact details.